- Stress Concentrations at Holes - Kirsch, 1898
- Stresses at Elliptical Holes - Inglis, 1913
- Griffith's Energy Release Rate - Griffith, 1920
- Westergaards's Solution for Cracks - 1939
- Stress Intensity Factor, K - Irwin, 1957
We begin with the linear elastic solutions for stresses, strains, and displacements.
This is the field of Linear Elastic Fracture Mechanics (LEFM). We will start all the
way back in 1898 with Kirsch's solution for stresses around a hole, which is of course not
a crack, and work our way up to ellipses and finally cracks.